Extracting Speech Files from Serpent Isle

Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Ultima VII: Serpent Isle, Ultima VIII: Pagan, Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss, Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds and other Ultima related topics goes here

Extracting Speech Files from Serpent Isle

by Treesong on Thu May 07, 2009 4:05 pmPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

This is a rather odd and particular question, but I'm going to ask anyway... :)

I played/beat Serpent Isle long ago when it first came out, and I'm fond of the little speech clips in Black Gate and Serpent Isle. I found a speech extractor program here on Bootstrike:

http://www.bootstrike.com/Ultima7bg/cool.html

The extractor works for all Black Gate audio (near as I can tell) and most Serpent Isle audio (near as I can tell). But the one Serpent Isle file that I wanted most of all isn't there for some reason. It's the one where the Great Earth Serpent says "Hasten! The imbalance grows stronger."

Has anyone else had any luck getting all of the speech files from Serpent Isle? I could just go to the spot where the serpent says this quote, but after poking around a bit I've determined that even with the cheat code I would have to play through a significant portion of the game to get that $@%! serpent to say the proper line... :) [I apparently need to get the Serpent Earrings in the legitimate way for him to say his lines in the proper order. Otherwise once I've completed the Gorlab dreamworld quest, he says "A new hero has entered this world!" instead of "Hasten! The imbalance grows stronger."]

Of course, playing through these quests again would/will be fun. :) But I am an often-busy and sometimes-lazy man and would rather just have the file. Then I can play Serpent Isle start to finish some other day when I have the time and inclination.

Any ideas? Any thoughts/advice/etc would be appreciated.
Treesong

Re: Extracting Speech Files from Serpent Isle

by Treesong on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:02 pmPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

I tried playing through to the point where the walkthrough says that the Great Earth Serpent says "Hasten! The imbalance grows stronger." The walkthrough says that he says it after you complete the Realm of Dreams quest, and that's also when I thought he said it. But he doesn't say it then! Instead, he says "Hero from another world! Know that it is I the Great Earth Serpent whom thou liberated from imprisonment in the days of Exodus the Destroyer. If only thou couldst help me now Avatar."

Anyone have any ideas? I even found a page that contains a list of Great Earth Serpent Quotes. But it doesn't contain the one I'm looking for. Any help in tracking this one down would be greatly appreciated.
Treesong

Re: Extracting Speech Files from Serpent Isle

by Treesong on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pmPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

I still haven't figured out why the extractor won't extract that sound file. But I did figure out why it wasn't playing at the appropriate spot. Apparently, when you click on the Serpent Necklace, the Great Earth Serpent will say one of three random things. If you keep clicking on that necklace, he will eventually say "Hasten! The imbalance grows stronger." I'd like to have the original audio file, but in the interim, I just created a .wav by recording the game's audio as I clicked on the necklace.
Treesong

Return to Ultima Series