uTorrent speed question

Bittorrent Speed Optimization Tips, Pioneer DVR Review, N-Gage FAQ, Iriver IMP-400 review, Web Design Mistakes, LCD vs CRT, Dell XPS and all other articles not covered in the other forums in this category goes here!

uTorrent speed question

by Joalta on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

I've been using utorrent for a long time but just recently but the only high speed connect I can get is at work. I've went through the entire guide & tried everything except the patching TCPIP.sys & my speed has not increased at all. What really confuses me is that I can upload at a maximum of 600 KB/s but can only download at around 25 KB/s & port forwarding doesn't seem to be working. How is this possible?
Joalta

Re: uTorrent speed question

by Ganesh on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:33 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

1) do you see a green tick at the bottom?
2) have you tried reducing your upload?
3) how many seeds does the torrent have?
Ganesh
Administrator

uTorrent speed question

by Joalta on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:18 pmPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

1. At the bottom is the yellow triangle with the exclamation in it & it says "Waiting for Reply" next to it. I think it might be a port fowarding problem but I'm not sure.
2. I have tried reducing the upload speed but it makes no change to the download speed.
3. At it's lowest, it has about three seeders, one of which has a 100% copy. It usually has 10+ with 3 or 4 complete copies, but I only download from 3 or 4 of them at a time and it shows that I am only downloading at about 6-8 KB/s from each.
Joalta

by Ganesh on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

Joalta wrote:1. At the bottom is the yellow triangle with the exclamation in it & it says "Waiting for Reply" next to it. I think it might be a port fowarding problem but I'm not sure.

Port forwarding is important. Please follow the port forward guide in the tutorial.
Joalta wrote:2. I have tried reducing the upload speed but it makes no change to the download speed.

We can determine that your upload rate is not the cause then.
Joalta wrote:3. At it's lowest, it has about three seeders, one of which has a 100% copy. It usually has 10+ with 3 or 4 complete copies, but I only download from 3 or 4 of them at a time and it shows that I am only downloading at about 6-8 KB/s from each.

3 seeds is not much. if the seed to peer ratio is low, speeds will affected. Try the Ubuntu torrent linked at the tutorial to test real speeds.
Ganesh
Administrator

uTorrent speed question

by Joalta on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:24 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

Using the Ubuntu torrent, I initially got in excess of 200 KB/s but that was with 4 seeders detected and I was only downloading from one of them. In the other torrent I'm currently downloading, I'm download from 10 of them but the highest download speed from them is 14.5 KB/s, the second at 8, then 2, and the rest are under 1 KB/s. Why would I be recieving data from most of them at such a ridiculously low speed?
Joalta

by Ganesh on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:52 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

How many peers are there? Like I said earlier, if there are 10 seeds and 30 peers, speeds will be slow as the seeds will have to share their bandwidth among the peers. The other possibility is that the other peer does not have bandwidth for the torrent you are downloading (think 56K)
Ganesh
Administrator

hey Ganesh plzzz help me

by Guest on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:24 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

hey ganesh i need ur help...

i did al the thngs mentioned in the guide..
everything..
from patching dat file...dan increasing the number frm 10 to 100...
even my port is also opened now..i did tried it in test which utorrent ask in the start of..and its says Ok...
but earlier also my speed was 25-30 kbps and its still the same..
i have a 256 kbps connection out here in India..

even the source frm which i download is damn good..
i download frm private trackers like iptorrents..
and download and upload ratio is al time higher..likewise right now 365 seeders and just 65 leechers..
den also not getting dat much speed..
plzz help me..
will wait for ur reply...

by Ganesh on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:55 pmPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

Your speed is already at maximum .. 256kbps is about 30KBps.
http://www.google.com/search?q=256kb+to+KB
Ganesh
Administrator

by irishpancake on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:32 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

Just a suggestion on the port forwarding settings.

I went through the uTorrent tutorial, the portforward.com tutorial and lot's of web site searches, but nothing solved my uTorrent problem, the infamous yellow triangle, and the "port forward test" failing every time.

I had set up my PC with a static LAN IP, unchecked the uPnP in the uTorrent client, set up the NAT "port forwarding " for TCP and UDP in my router (Netopia 2247 DSL) to the appropriate uTorrent port.

Nearly pulling my hair out at this stage, coz I was still getting the Red message on the uTorrent "port forward test".

Then I went back to my router, had a brainwave, check the settings on the Netopia Router Firewall.

Lo and behold, this was set to Medium, a default setting AFAIK.

I changed this setting to Low, and immediately my uTorrent red Triangle turned Green, and the port forward test was successful, and my D/L speeds imcreased hugely.

So perhaps the first thing every guide should mention is setting the Router Firewall to a Low setting, as all the other settings depend on this to work.

I don't think there is any security problem with the Low setting, as you should have a firewall on the PC, either Windows FW, or Zone Alarm, or whatever.
irishpancake

Return to Articles Discussion