Why can't my Dell XPS M1210 run FPS games properly?

Bittorrent Speed Optimization Tips, Pioneer DVR Review, N-Gage FAQ, Iriver IMP-400 review, Web Design Mistakes, LCD vs CRT, Dell XPS and all other articles not covered in the other forums in this category goes here!

Why can't my Dell XPS M1210 run FPS games properly?

by -sonny- on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:08 pmPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

Here's my problem: I have a good XPS M1210 laptop with a lot of RAM and memory, yet when I try to play games such as Counterstrike: Source and Portal it starts to lag horribly after 5-10 minutes. I can turn all of the settings to low and that'll make it run smoothly for another couple of minutes but then it just starts to lag again and I have to exit and reopen the game.

This really confuses me because I've even seen videos on Youtube of people playing the same games that I do on the exact same laptop who have WORSE specs than me with no problems whatsoever. I've scanned for viruses (didn't find any), done countless Ad-Aware scans, defragmented my disc a couple times, and ran CCleanup. I've also disabled some of the startup processes that I know aren't needed. I also know that the problem is not overheating because when I use I8kfan to look at my computer temperature it stays at around 70 before and during playing, for example, Portal, even when it starts to lag. I really hope that somebody can help me because I'm really confused and kind of frustrated that I can't play these games the way I should be able to.

Here are my specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Dell XPS M1210
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
T7400 @ 2.16GHz
2.16 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 and I've updated it with the latest driver. Anyways, I would really appreciate it if I could get some help.

Thanks.
-sonny-

Re: Why can't my Dell XPS M1210 run FPS games properly?

by Ganesh on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

have you tried forcing the fan speeds to high as it very likely sounds like an overheating issue.
Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Why can't my Dell XPS M1210 run FPS games properly?

by amri on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:21 amPostQuick Link PostView Single Post

hi. i also have a dell laptop. u can use a free available software made specially for dell laptops. it takes the full control of the cooling fans. it has automatic temperature control mechanism with lots of extra features related to fan speed and temperature. the software's name is "I8kfanGUI". do a search and download the exact version for your laptop. and remember not to keep ur coolings fans always in high speed as tat can spoil those.
for more information on temperature control and cooling CPUs, u can refer the book "OReilly Big Book of Windows Hacks Oct 2007 eBook Posted:2008-03-13". u can download the torrent.
enjoy and dont forget to reply :) :)
amri

Return to Articles Discussion